Wednesday, February 26, 2014

This is Not a Drill

Laura Alexander-Wilson
TETA K-12 Committee
Middle School Interest Chair
k12.msinterest@tetatx.com

After school thirty eighth graders rushed to my room to gather their props and costumes. We were going to perform across the street at a senior assisted living home. We had been practicing our Readers Theatre for a month and it was time for the performance.

Our campus security guard walked us across the street and stopped traffic so we could get there quickly. The performance was starting soon and we needed to set up. When we arrived, the kids were so excited. For many of them it was their first time doing anything like this. A small group of seniors joined us and waited patiently for the performance to begin. 


A fantastic time was had by all. The room was full of laughter and smiles. After the performances, our audience posed for pictures with the performers and talked about how much they enjoyed the show. We left feeling incredible about giving our time to such a deserving audience. 

As we walked out of the building to head back to my campus, I looked across the street. My principal was on the other side and walking down to an intersection about one hundred yards away. We had agreed that she would help me get the kids across the street there. We kept pace with her on the other side and moved towards the light at the intersection. 

When we were about 30 feet away we saw a police car approach the intersection. Before I could even put my thoughts together we heard 3 pops. I stopped, looked at my principal, and looked back at the policeman. He had is weapon drawn- shots had just been fired. 

I turned around and yelled, “Run!!!” to the kids. Behind us was a field, with no coverage, that lead to a church. It was a 50 yard sprint. The faster students sped ahead as I told everyone to drop their props and music stands so they could run faster. The time moved as if it were in slow motion. I rushed the slower children and reached the side of the building last. 

The kids and I found an unlocked door. I counted them off as the rushed inside into an interior hallway. I quickly called roll and we all collapsed. Hysterical, we all sat and held each other. We had no idea what had happened. 

About 15 minutes later my principal came in and let us know we were no longer on lock down and to stay in the church. The parents were instructed to drive to the church and pick the kids up from there. The church staff was kind and helped us to pick up all of our belongings in the field we had run across. 

When the last student was picked up, my principal and I walked back to the school. She explained that there was a high speed chase and the policeman was shooting out the driver’s tires. The driver was stopped and taken by the police. 

It wasn’t until the next day in class that it hit me. All the students walked into my first period quietly. It was different somehow. We looked at each other and didn’t need to say a word. Nearly every administrator was in my room to support the kids that morning. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room. We all knew how close we had come to possible tragedy. 

It took weeks for us to relax and get back to normal. I tear up even now just thinking about it. Even though I understand the responsibility I have to my students, I did not fully expect the fear I had when we were running across the field that day… the fear that I could lose someone’s son or daughter. 

This was three years ago, but I still find myself looking for emergency exits, extinguishers, or defibrillators when I go on field trips. I am not sure when, or if, I will get past that. 

I hope you never have to experience an emergency with your students, cast, or crew. It was the last thing I expected that day and I could not have been more pleased with how my students handled the emergency. The drills we had on our campus and support of our administration provided the tools and practice for the scariest day of my teaching career. 

Why the article? I guess in a way it is to remind myself and others to always be prepared for an emergency situation. Having a plan in place will make an emergency easier for you and your students should you encounter one. Keep your emergency numbers, medical release forms, and contact information close and organized. Though drills in school can seem tedious, it is so important you explain the value of them to your students.