Sunday, August 3, 2014

SummerFest and Service

Jenae Glanton
TETA K-12 Committee
Vice-President Elect

This summer has been one of the best. I have had the opportunity to see several local, top-notch, professional theatrical performances. I have spent lots of quality time with family, friends, and Theater colleagues. My spirit is refueled!

Summerfest 2014 ignited my spark. Yes, it was hot but the heat wasn’t what kindled this fire! Seeing friends, making new friends and seeing so many new TETA Members in attendance truly made the weekend special.

We had remarkable numbers this year!
· 195 Attendees
· 77 New Members
· 46 Presenters
· Over 100 Workshops

Summerfest 2014 at McMurry University is a weekend that I will never forget. I would like to take this time to thank several people who helped make this event one of the best. To Sara, for creating amazing programming, for her ability to tackle anything thrown her way with grace and for teaching this K-12 Committee “rookie” the ropes. Words cannot express my gratitude.

I would like to thank the K-12 Committee. Each member helped plan and prepare for this event months in advance. The Committee arrived at McMurry a day early to set up. They each presented several workshops, helped organize the donation station, stocked snacks, made sure presenters felt welcome, greeted new members, managed dorms and they worked together to prepare the Sunday Luncheon. They helped strike the event and finally, they stayed late for a Summerfest 2014 closing meeting. They had such an amazing attitude along the way. We are extremely lucky to have such a wonderful team representing K-12. I am grateful to each and every one of you: Sara, Gloria, Gena Lea, Darve, Cody, Victoria, Laura, Beth, Teresa, and Lindsey. Special thanks to Jewels Howard and her team, Charlie and Betty Hukill, Marion Castleberry, Travis Poe, Matt Perry, our volunteers and McMurry University. Thank you to all the special guests, artists, and presenters. Lastly, thank you to all the TETA members who attended Summerfest 2014! It was a weekend that we will never forget!

We had two special guests speak to the membership at Summerfest. Travis Poe spoke of the spark in all of us, that special gift we all have as teachers. In many cases, we never know how we truly affect the students we work with. Marion Castleberry reminded us that teaching from the heart, and being ourselves in the classroom is the most important tool we have in connecting with our students.

I drove home late Sunday afternoon feeling extremely tired yet ready to start the year! I was back on my campus Monday morning at 10am. As I sat in our first Department Chair meeting of the new school year, I was filled with so much excitement.

My principal gave each of us a book to read by August 15th: One Word by Jon Gordon. The book was an easy read. I read it in about forty-five minutes. It is all about finding one word to change your life. My principal instructed us to return on August 15th with one word that describes us. This was difficult for me. I thought, “only one word?” I then thought about Summerfest 2014 and Marion’s speech. Who am I? Who am I as an educator? Then I thought about this task this way: what if there was one word that could add clarity or power in a difficult situation? I immediately found my word: service.

This year I want to serve my school district and my community by being the best educator that I can be. I want to serve my students to the best of my ability. I want to ignite a spark within them, instilling a lifelong love of learning and Theater. I want to serve my family and be the best wife, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, and granddaughter that I can be. I want to serve organizations like TETA and Texas Thespians to give back to so many who have given to me. Service is my word. Service is who I am.

I encourage you to find your “word” for the year. I challenge you to explore service. I challenge you to share something with your fellow TETA K-12 Teachers. Submit a workshop proposal for Theatrefest 2015. Proposals are due by Nov. 1, 2014. Consider service. Consider giving back. Your service could ignite someone’s spark.

Have a great school year. Discover and Ignite the Spark within you. Share your spark with your family, your student’s, your community and your fellow Theater colleagues.

I look forward to seeing everyone at Theatrefest 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment