Friday, January 16, 2015

Moving Forward

As I look back over nearly thirty years of my membership in the Texas Educational Theatre Association, what I cherish most is the inspiration I've received from exceptional theatre educators from all levels from all over our great state. As a beginning theatre educator, I needed information about everything from technical theatre to UIL OAP and ideas for lessons about, well, everything. I found those things at TETA (as we then called TheatreFest). As I found my way with the guidance of so many of my fellow members, I became a better teacher and a better director. At some point, I knew it was time to pay it forward, and I began presenting workshops. Like so many of you, I love helping others, and I wanted to do what I could to assist those who were just starting out on the path of theatre education. The more I presented, the more connections I made, the more I became involved, the more I learned. It was a beautiful thing!

As I conclude my last few weeks as a member of the Board of Directors of our organization, I find myself reflecting on my past eight years of service. The times I cherish most during those years were my years as Vice President Elect of K-12, Vice President K-12 and the past year or so as Immediate Past President. As a K-12 committee member, I enjoyed working with K-12 educators from throughout the state, developing programming that addressed the needs of educators in a wide variety of situations, and collaborating with so many people about things that would make our section, and therefore our entire organization, stronger. We worked together to changed things for the better, and we did.

As Immediate Past President, I have been a part of even more significant changes, and I feel very fortunate for that. Blessed, actually. Of course, it hasn't all been easy. There are always challenges in any endevour that is worth doing, and working for a stronger, better TETA is one of the worthiest causes there is. As I end my service on the Board of Directors, I am confident that we are moving together toward a bright future which will encourage the involvement of each and every member. I find great peace in that, and I am proud of the collaborative nature of our leadership. I am greatly honored to have served with them and for all of you.

I look forward to seeing you all at TheatreFest 2015 as we move Together Toward Tomorrow.

Melissa McMillian-Cunningham
TETA Board of Directors
Immediate Past-President

No comments:

Post a Comment