Thursday, June 26, 2014

Read and Read Some More

Greeting Colleagues!  It’s hard to believe that the end of the school year has come and gone.  Like mine, I hope your year was a rewarding one in the classroom and “on the boards.”  And like many of you, we have already started planning for next year.  We have been given the production rights to stage Zimmerman’s Metamorphoses.  So, we’re really excited get the pool built and functional. 

I hope that each of you will take time this summer to read and read some more, never can you not read enough.  Expose yourself to as much theatre as possible.  Hopefully, you had the opportunity to attend this year’s State One-Act Play finals.  I’m always amazed at the caliber of theater that is brought to Austin each spring.  There’s always some new creative idea brought to State that works within the guidelines of OAP.
Take the time to attend TETA’s SummerFest, go to the UIL Capital Conference, witness many of the productions at the numerous theatre camps held across the state or better yet, send your students to camp.  There is never a reason to not learn and absorb. Go to New York, Chicago, LA or support a community theater. Better yet, volunteer a few days with a daycare and expose them to the world we love so much or host your own local theatre camp.

Finishing my 29th year in secondary education, I’m still learning.  Having added a teaching partner this year, I learn something new every day - whether it be in the shop or the classroom.  I may not know how to operate our beautiful intelligent lights, but I’m slowly absorbing and hopefully by the time I retire, I can at least turn them on.

The knowledge we possess and can share with our students and with each other is our most powerful tool. 


I hope your summer vacation is filled with lots of excitement and rest.  Wishing you the best for an awesome summer and for the upcoming school year.

Travis Poe, TETA Board of Directors
President-Elect

No comments:

Post a Comment